Skip to main content

La Vie En Rose

 

                                   la-vie-en-rose-poster-0

 

Had just finished watching the incredibly talented Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose or La Môme. And I have to say, that she surpasses Cate Blanchett in portraying a famous icon.

The film gives us the story of Edith Piaf turbulent life and highlighting the high and low points of her life. Raised in a brothel and a circus. Performing in streets and discovered by a club manager, this story tells of her life; childhood, her fame, her loves, her tragedies and the most incredible of all her singing.

The film is c'est magnifique and Marion Cotillard deserves her award. I viewed some of Edith Piaf performance in YouTube and found that Cotillard movement and posture in the movie is spot on. The film itself, it got a bit confusing at first as the film goes back and forth from when she was old and she was young. However after 30 minutes of viewing I believed the director made the right choice in doing this as this brings the viewer different sorts of feelings, tumultuous, happy, sad, pity, all going up and down, up and down throughout the 2 hours.

One of the best biographical ( I don't really know what these kinda movie called) movie I ever watched. And also what amazed me is the make up. Marion Cotillard a beautiful 32 year old, played a 40++ year old woman who looked like she is 70 so convincingly, that I have to look at IMDB.com to see if there is another actress playing the older Piaf. Before this when I watched a movie and an actress who have to age herself 20 or 30 years, it always failed. Either they look the same except for some really unconvincing white hair (Love in the Time of Cholera ... I am looking at you). Or the actresses and actors, just look like they had just apply an unnatural layer of foundation on their face and etched some line into that mountains of foundation.

What I love about French films, they always gives great soundtrack. I don't understand what they are wailing about, but it tugged at your heart just the same. And of course a film about one of the greatest singer, guarantee a great soundtrack. Currently am listening to some of Edith Piaf many many songs, and I have to say I love it. Absolutely love it. Some of my favorite from the movie are Milord, Non je ne regrette rien and La Foule.

Marion Cotillard performance alone warranted a must see and then you found yourself wanting to keep on hearing Edith Piaf songs.

 

Comments

my fisrt encounter with edith piaf was in Saving private Ryan. yeah.. of all movies its from there

her singing/wailing voice is haunting.

haven't seem this movie yet despite Cotilard's oscar

time to torrent i suppose?
Dils said…
Oh yeah. I had just watched Saving Private Ryan for the first time, and I too heard that Edith Piaf song.

But songs from the 30s and 40s adalah best.

Try torrent it. I just finished torrent A Very Long Engagement. Huhu. But not in my next to watch list, saje torrent dulu.

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.