Skip to main content

In the 80s: We used to play...

The second part commence.

The first part: In the 80s: We used to eat



Nope. Never played this. Though I do like to pick up these toys from the floor or by the road. Sometimes I would imagine if my father would looked like this ( My late father was in the army) There is always these toy soldier toys lying around everywhere back in the days. Painful when trodden upon. Ugh.






I used marbles for congkak. I love the sounds it make when there is only one or two marbles being dropped into the holes. I kinda missed playing congkak. Would love to play it again.





Didn't play with this type of cards either.





Tapi kad ini saya layan. I still love playing this. Especially with my brother. He likes boardgames and cards. The fiance sometimes have to layan me and played with Boggles. He usually lose. Which is why he rather reluctant to play Boggles with me nowadays.




Remembered the times when you valiantly tried to do all those yoyo tricks you saw on TV?

It frustrated me to no end and by the end of the day, I declared that my piece of yoyo must be cheap and crap, therefore do not have the same 'power' as those the one in TV.



I like the first one as it stings when you shoot someone. *gleeful*

The second one kinda sucks as the suction does not work. ( Heh. That is a contradiction) We used it for reenactment of various TVs shows and ads, by sticking the suction on somebody forehead. THEN we pretended to shoot at em. Lame.




My sisters used to have this. My eldest sister then always made sure that her toys is in pristine condition. She said when they gave it all to me, I would most certainly break it or jadi ranap.



Super Mario! We would memorized where all the hidden bricks and gold are. The furthest I got is Level 8

The Western Bar thing... I only remembered playing the Sega one.



I can't remember what's it called. But basically we buy this little tube inside which have this rubbery stuff and put a bit at the end of the 'straw' provided and blow in the straw to create as what the picture depicted. How I love that. Making it to different shape, large and small.














The inane Ding dong and Tora toys. Like I said before, I was never a fan of them, and I always think it is lousy. But I remembered thinking that I wouldn't mind it too because all other kids wants one. Peer pressure at its best! But I have to say I never bought the stuff with my tiny allowance.




Of all the lousy and excellent toys in the list. This is the best! It is free (just shred the middle papers of your exercise book) and we just made up anything to put in there. Its kinda like "Make Your Own Adventures". Except much shorter and very silly. Girls usually put things on who do you like and what you like and if you are pretty. And the girls would usually coloured the paper nicely to make it much more presentable.





Eh... I don't play rock, paper, scissors as a game. More like penentuan. Who is going to go first. But come to think about, I did like to play this with my brother. Though he always maintain that 'pistol' sign is absolutely legit in this game.






I don't play this. These are guysss stuffssss.

The paper plane only did it in class when extremely bored.





Even today, I like to blow bubbles. Like to see children played with them. And it is also oh so pretty. I always nearly stop whenever I see someone blowing bubbles ( you know the salesman yang menjual pistol bubbles tu di tepi jalan-jalan yang sesak). It is just so pretty to gawk at.






Teng-Teng. It makes me wonder if my nieces and nephews would know of this when they get to be 8 and 9 years old. Apart from the usual plane 'design', we also berlumba-lumba to invent other's design for Teng-Teng. Like ice-cream cone design, square design, weird L shape design, and some design that is just too preposterous to hop about with just one leg on.




Special Mention:

Picture source
Lompat getah is also one of my favorites. It is a jump rope made entirely of rubber bands. Love it!. I always practice to achieve the highest jump, 2 jengkal dari kepala. Totally keji. But its the rule. Ade yang mendengki, nak buat 4 jengkal, but us head honchos stamp our feet and said 2 jengkal is more than enough.

We also usually had an argument with the boys in my KB (Kota Bharu) neighbourhood as they keep bugging us to let them play the getah too. We were adamant, saying this is a girl's game, but we relented.


I remembered during time SPM, we were so frustrated and stress at the asrama (boarding school), that we decided to play lompat getah. Unlucky for us, one of my friend sprained her ankle during the one of the jump. Even at 17 we were not as agile as when we were 7 eh. Knowing that our strict warden would lecture us for hours for acting like little girls, we lied and said that she fell in the toilet. Poor her have to hobble through the SPM weeks. That is the last time I ever play getah I think.


Picture Source: Kampung Boy by Lat
Galah panjang. The reason we relented for the guys to play getah back then because they were needed for us to team with in galah panjang. The picture alone warranted no explanation. Hehe.

I am one of the favorites to be pick as a team members back then, as I can run quite fast and was tall, so adalah sangat bangga. (My height today is almost the same when I was 11 ok)




Picture source
Batu Seremban not one of my favorite, but after practice and understanding on how the game is played, I am quite adept okeh. Haha (Mende-mende meraban cepat je tangkap and nak je practice).

I think it is usually played unti Batu 10. But we take it further to 15. There are even Batu 20. It involved some pretty complicated juggling tricks.



I guess there are others such as bottle caps, tuju/baling selipar, cucuk-cucuk taik lembu (or is that just me) , tin throwing, konda kondi and sepak bulu ayam but I never or rarely played those games. Talking about these games, make me remembers stuff I had previously forgotten. Good times indeed.

Comments

Some said…
well, you sure missed one more..main tikam-tikam..see it here
http://timesofmylife.wordpress.com/2007/07/10/tikam/
Dils said…
Terlupa. Lagipun jarang main. :P

Tak baik berjudi. Hahaha..
does anyone remember how to play DONKEY? is it like Snap?

I cant recall how. i can recall old maid and happy family only
Dils said…
Well, I admit I think I kinda forgot, but there's always the instructions at the back of the box.

I am wishing for monopoly again. I like boardgames. I think probably I want to go buy CLUEDO next. (did I spelt that correctly?)

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.