Skip to main content

Siem Reap Trip - Day 4: Roluos Group and Cambodia Cultural Village

The last temple visits left in our 3 day pass. I did planned to go to Beng Meleaa but paying extra 20USD for a ride over there is a bit pricey for us as the journey is more than an hour . So we went to the Roluos group of temple that is located a bit further away from Siem Reap town.

Our visit today at least is shorter than the past 2 days which is just nice because moving my legs was beginning to be painful due to the energetic roaming and climbing around we done the past 2 days.

Lolei

We got here early and there was no one around. Not much to see either, kinda like a forgotten 4 old towers in the middle of a village although long ago this actually used to be an island temple in the middle of its man made lake (baray). There were some orphanage groups near the place smiling giving us their pamphlets informing on the plight of the children of their orphanage.



Preah Ko

A lovely 6 brick towers temple. It used to be rather big and nearby it should be an old Royal Palace even but some of its structure are gone. Not much to see as it was basically an open space with 6 brick towers and some of its buildings (the gopura and libraries) are in ruins with their roofs missing.



In front of Preah Ko, there's a place where someone had done a miniature on some of its famous temples such as Angkor Wat and Banteay Srei. Below are the miniatures of 3 temples that we were visiting that day.



The place provided a donation box nearby, so anyone who had visited the place can place any amount of donation they like. My husband and I felt really bad that day as we do not have small change (the smallest we had were 20USD) to put into the donation box, because the miniatures and its cute dog are really quite fetching.


Bakong

One of the more impressive temple mountain of the whole bunch. We spent some time here climbing one level to the next and just enjoying the view. It is also one of my favorite. This temple is the first temple mountain constructed by the Khmer.


I like the feeling of the place. The moat there is still filled with water and the huge shady trees make the temple quite picturesque. There are also some schoolchildren and teenagers in school uniform hanging around the temples picking off fruits from the trees, eating and joking around beside the old ruins.


Cambodia Cultural Village

Afterward we were at a loss on where to go so we decided upon Cambodia Cultural Village. The cultural village highlight a wax museum, miniatures garden of major buildings of Phnom Penh and also showcasing each ethnic of village houses.


Both of us were disappointed though. I did thought that the wax museums was delightful and the judgment tunnel and miniature garden were interesting. The judgement tunnel though interesting, make my head spins. There was a blinking light around it, which make it harder for someone (or people like me who can get nauseous really easily) to stay in there too long. So by the end of the tunnel I was like "Quick!" "Quick!" "I need to get the hell out ASAP or I will puke on one of the display"

The Cultural Village is pretty good I guess if you timed your day perfectly to it schedule. If you do not feel or have time to stick around for the whole performances (the grand performance seems to be on Friday, Sat and Sun. It was Thursday for us),there's not much to see. It is especially frustrating with the lack of a proper information or boards informing who is who and what is what around the cultural village. Also the village of the different ethnicity that they showcase, all have locked doors and the houses is just a show of exteriors, excepting the Champa village. Sigh. They have a guide service, but you need to pay extra (more than 10 USD) I think for a guide. I guess in my mind I was comparing it to the excellent Sarawak Cultural Village that I walked away from the Cambodia Cultural Village feeling meh.


Foodies!

Finished touring the Cultural Village, we then asked our driver to take us to D'Wau a Malaysian restaurant at the Wat Bo area. The driver almost get us lost, because he was not too sure where it is but we did found the restaurant in the end.


Reaching there, we laughed cause we encountered the Rasa Halal Orient crew again. They also laughed and said we were late as they were just about finishing off. Terasa stalker pulak. The nicest thing when we bertembung with the Rasa Halal Orient production crew ni, the owner will be there and thus giving us opportunity to converse with the owner.

Like I said, we spoke with the owner (who is a Malaysian) and he is very helpful in suggesting us where to go and what to do. Though we only have 1 day left in our itinerary. Hehe.

The food was excellent though but we ordered only the usual Malaysian dish which was Ikan 3 Rasa and Kerabu Mangga as the food was a tad bit expensive than the usual price we are used to.


Apsara performance

As I want to see some apsara performance but loathe to go very far and sewa a tuktuk, we decided to go to a nearby club that have free nightly apsara performances. So for dinner, we went to Temple Bar at Pub Street. We just picked a vege pizza to go with our fries (I was dying for some trans fat deep fried goodness) while watching the performance.


I love it. There was the blessing dance, the apsara dance, the fisherman dance, peacock dance and other that I completely forgot the name.


The blessing dance reminds me of PGL movie when Tiara flicked the jasmine flowers to M. Nasir.

Speaking of apsara dance when we were in Siem Reap there is a lot of brochures featuring the night show at Angkor Wat that have battle scene, dances, reenactments of the olden days. The pictures I seen in the bunting looked completely amazing, though I did not asked the price as I would guess it would be pricey (a quick google search yield it is 45USD) . It must be interesting though.

Also:
Siem Reap Trip - Day 1: Arrival and The Lake
Siem Reap Trip - Day 2: Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Keo and Ta Phrom
Siem Reap Trip - Day 3: Banteay Kdei, Banteay Srei, East Baray and Northeastern Angkor group & Landmine Museum

Comments

Izham Miyake said…
giler rajin berjalan!!
Shu said…
3 days of temples.. my kaki must be almost tercabut if i hv to do that.

but, when we like something, we'll go all out about it isnt it....

:)
Dils said…
izham:
Kalo bab berjalan, memang rajin.


shu:
Yups, yups. Kalo dah suke tu. Ok je. But penat jugak la afterwards.

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.