Skip to main content

Siem Reap Trip - Day 3: Banteay Kdei, Banteay Srei, East Baray and Northeastern Angkor group & Landmine Museum

This day, we had another appointment with another tuktuk driver Mr. Rithy (who brought us to the Tonle Sap)for another day of temple visits. The temples that we going to visit is a bit further away, so we had negotiated the price of tuktuk of about 15USD for the whole day.

Banteay Kdei
Our first visit was Banteay Kdei. We planned to visit this temple the day before but did not have time. Glad we make it that day on early morning. The temple had whimsical feel to it due to its some part in ruins and some part restored. Lots of mosquitoes in the early morning though and we forgot to bring the insect repellent. We did enjoyed looking around the maze like place.


There was a tiny cute little boy who persistently asked us to buy the flutes he's selling (2 for USD1). We declined nicely, and only afterwards I regretted not buying the flutes as it was cheap and would make a great souvenir. "No, thank you" had become an automatic response due to lots of peddlers and kids selling their wares and souvenirs around the temples and town too . The goods they are selling are ridiculously cheap (USD1 for a guide book for e.g.) but some people discouraged you from buying from these kids as they should be in school and some of the kids are exploited. But they are just heartbreakingly persistent.


Pre Rup
We then went ahead to Pre Rup. This is another temple mountain. Somewhat high, not so steep though. So I manage to climb my way to the step, tho I did feel sick going downwards afterwards. My husband was laughing when he noticed that my hand was shaking when I was taking picture at the top level of Pre Rup. Yes. Laughed at the person who have the fear of height.




Banteay Srei
Quite a long way from Siem Reap. Took us about more than 30 minutes to reach there. It was fine anyway as I was enjoying the view and I like riding on a tuktuk. Best je rase angin. I was also having fun reading the name of the contributors on each pipe (located in front of the houses in the rural areas) we seen beside the road on the way to the temple. Seems like they had recently introduced a new health campaign for promoting clean water by providing them clean well or pipe, beside the pipes are the names of the contributor who had provided for the particular house.


Anyway reaching there, there was a bit of a crowd. We decided to quickly passed an annoying gaggle of tourist girls who keep on posing (with different pose) at the doorway, each taking their own sweet time. Aside from that, I like Banteay Srei. The temples have intricate delicately beautiful carvings. The temple is unique and easily recognizable compare to the others from the doorway, to its lovely deco and the stone causeways.

During our roaming around the temple we encountered a weird Japanese man who brought along a violin case. At first I naturally thought there was a violin in it. Then he set down the case and I was thinking to myself "Oh, he is going to play the violin because he was inspired by the scenery?". Clearly my imagination is far too poetic, because the case revealed a large doll with dark elegant ruffled lace gown with dark curly hairs. He spread open a handkerchief and sat down the doll and took pictures of the doll with Banteay Srei as background. Clearly the strangest sight I ever seen. An Austrian tourist nearby (who was also watching all this curiously) asked the man, if the doll is special or have any sort of meaning, the Japanese man just answered smilingly, "No. No. This is just a doll".


Cambodia Landmine Museum
Afterwards we went to the Landmine museum opened by one of the local Cambodian Aki-Ra. He used to be a child soldier in the Khmer Rouge where he was tasked to plant landmines. Now he spent his life defusing these landmines, helping children and family who are landmine victims and advocating the cause in educating people regarding the danger of landmines. Clearly a remarkable man.



East Mebon
Another temple that we visit after the Landmine museum. The temple somewhat reminisce of Pre Rup but it is just high because this temple long ago was build on an island. Around it used to be a man made lake I think. The temple have a twin actually, on the far side called West Mebon. But the East Mebon is the best preserved.


Ta Som
Next we went to Ta Som. This is reminiscent of Banteay Kdei and Ta Phrom. It is a beautiful small maze like temple. Also part in ruins part restored. Have some really lovely apsara and devata reliefs in them.



Neak Pean
Then to Neak Pean which was an ancient ponds, 1 main pond that have a tower in the middle with 4 smaller pond surrounding it. It was said that the water have healing properties to it. Hmmm.



When we visited there, there was no water in any of the ponds though aside from a few very large lopak. Thus, we can easily walked to the tower and the horse statue, called Balaha for a closer look.

Where we then noticed this particular statue of Balaha that have the men carrying the horse, also show this particular man looking far too happy to be holding up a man butt up his head.


Preah Khan
Preah Khan is quite a big temple and it was the last temple we visited of the day. This site used to be a temple school, kinda like a monastery university in the olden day. The size was immense and from the lavish gate similar like Angkor Thom of its Churning of the Milk Sea statues and balustrade that greeted us. We have to walked around the outer enclosure to get into the temple as the entrance from where we came is under restoration and closed. Similar to Ta Som, Ta Phrom and Banteay Kdei (though more immense in size), it also share the part ruins and part restored quality feel to it where there are quite a number of old giant gnarled tree entwined with the walls.


A best place really to just explore and walk around. I liked it that so far this is only temple in our visit that have a grand looking building with round column (above: 2nd picture from the left) which reminded me of the Greek temples, though so far the theory is that this place is used to store some kind of food. I also like the feel of walking around the passageways and hallways and be completely enchanted by the ethereal-like feel of the place. It just feel precious. ( And I do have an over active imagination )

That conclude the temple visit of the day. After a round of temple visit, we were very hungry and gave direction (according to our best knowledge) to our driver on where to find the Muslim restaurant we had glimpsed its signboard earlier the day before.

Glorious Food

When we arrived we were surprised to find that the Rasa Halal Orient crew with Farah AF(tahlah brape) were there shooting for their show. Haha! The owner was apologetic and asked us if we do not mind if we would be having what the crew would also be having as they are not used to have a big number of people dining there and are unusually busy. We agreed as we ourselves would not know what we want to order anyway.


Which the above was what we get. Not pictured is the daging naik bukit. My favorite was the sup udang. It was sooo delish. The amok itself was nice, though it was modified a bit. Kinda like "express" amok. Instead of the sup gulai of amok fish that usually being served, we get the fried version. It was also very nice btw. But even today I am salivating thinking of that yummy sup udang.

The crew was a friendly bunch. It was also quite entertaining to watch on how the show being shoot. Tak pasal-pasal dapat 'free pass' on behind the show since the cooking was also being showed at the same room as our dining room. Nice! Though because of this lewat la jugak dapat makan and we were reallly hungry as we didn't eat anything except breakfast for the whole day. So by the time balik, we tipped extra to our tuktuk driver for courtesy reason as he patiently await for us to finish our meal.

For the whole meal, it cost us 8USD, which was a fair price as the owner keep topping our rice and lauk-pauk. Very the generous. I would recommend those who would come here to try out Haji Musa, (that's the owner name) place. The restaurant is in the middle of a Muslim village in Siem Reap, next to a mosque.

After a very hearty meal, we did not feel the need to go out after a day of climbing up and down and trekking through ancient buildings. Decided to stay in at the hotel dan sapu analgesic cream on our legs aje. Penat.


Also:
Siem Reap Trip - Day 1: Arrival and The Lake
Siem Reap Trip - Day 2: Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Keo and Ta Phrom


Comments

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.