Skip to main content

Siem Reap Trip - Day 1: Arrival and The Lake

Haaa! Dah dapat pon komputer. Super excited. The komputer had been wiped clean btw. Thank God I didn't copy all pictures to my work laptop and delete the memory card in my camera like I originally planned. Computer ini sekarang suci dari dosa-dosa. Sudah-sudah, jangan merepek and will blog about Siem Reap.

Those looking for the condensed version can go visit my husband's blog. For once, he blogged more than moi. ( Dan make me much malas to update. Boleh?)

We bertolak at 27th April around 11 am from KLIA and reached there noon. Cambodia is an hour behind us. Arriving there, a tuktuk hired from the guesthouse we would be staying was waiting for us. We took Mandalay Inn as a our place to stay during the week duration as it is within walking distance to the town and cheap (16USD per night for our room).


Yeah... Does not look much. But the staffs there is super friendly. And most importantly the room is CLEAN. Which it is always kept as CLEAN during our duration there. Did not take a photo of the room though. But below is the view from our room.

Late afternoon, we decided to walk around the Siem Reap town area. We walk around from the Old Market, Pub Street and up to the Center Market. The town is not so big and most definitely full of tourists. And it is ever so dusty.

The picture of the left is actually in front of Center Market. Basically the whole Siem Reap town look like this.

I decided to see the markets as I would like to see price sold for the souvenirs and trinkets. Old Market (Psar Chaa) supposedly is a nice place to shop. It was oklah, a bit expensive from others but you can find shops that can give you good bargains. I read before that Center Market offers the cheapest souvenirs to tourists. Found out, not so much. You can get it around the same price anywhere else if you look hard enough. Also the people at Center Market does not seem incline to lower their price compare to other places. So we shopped there the least.

Wandering around we found ourselves back at Pub Street. As both of us are reasonably hungry we decided to dine at one of the Halal Indian restaurant there, the Maharajah. The owner informed us he is from Lahore and when we was there he was intent on YM-ing and the tv was playing some old Hindustan movie. Feel right at home right?

I ordered myself a garlic naan with tandoori chicken. The tandoori was excellent. Never tasted anything like it here. My husband ordered the non-veg Thali. No idea what it meant. But it comprised of rice (briyani-like), chapati and curries and dhals. With extra rice lagi.

While we were eating, an extremely eager tuk-tuk driver was patiently waiting to bring us to Tonle Sap. My husband and I discussed among ourselves and we agreed on his offer to bring us there.

On the way there, it give us a chance to take in the sight of rural place and also the river villages. Some are living in a pretty terrible condition. But the view of the country sight is wonderful. Paddy fields, lotus filled pool, the houses with the frail stilts propping it up.


When we get at the boats that were to take tourists to the Tonle Sap, we were surprised that it was USD20 per person. We questioned them repeatedly but they were adamant that this is the standard rate. My husband gave in while I was silently cursing. Banyak tu. USD plak kan. Because from what I know it should be USD10 per person. Dasar cekik darah. Ikutkan hati nak aje aku naik balik tuk-tuk tu suruh bawak balik inn. My husband plak duk tanya me, if it is OK but at the end he gave in to the boatsmen insistence. Takkan aku nak tunjuk EPIC bitch moment kat situ kan. Hukhukhuk. My husband was still thinking it is USD40 per boat. Lantak la.

Personally I think we were screwed. But what's done is done. So for any other people wanting to go there, I would suggest asking your hotel first the usual rate and buy at the ticket counters or go with some tour operators.

Not wanting to start the holiday with a bad taste in my mouth so to speak, I decided to just let it go and sit back to enjoy the view. And it is a nice view indeed.

You can click at the picture for a bigger view. The first picture showed a mobile futsal/basketball court for the students there on the river. Totally cool. The school is just in front (not pictured here though). The third picture, is the floating village on the lake from afar. It looks totally magnificent from afar and even more so when closer. The fourth pic is a boathouse jamban. Your waste would fall directly into the lake. Ugh. Which is why some of the people living at the lake kept on getting sick as they used the same water to drink, bathe and throw their waste into. The other pictures are a few random pictures taken there.

At the floating village, we stopped awhile at a floating restaurant/souvenir shops that provided us with a much more expanded and lovelier view of the lake. Also I befriended a cat.


I missed my cat so when this cat sidled along I petted her. She is much more manja than Fasha (kucing durhaka yang hobinye using my hand as scratching board itu) where she started to follow me around and plopped herself on my foot whenever I am standing. It was almost sun down when we get back, so there are some pretty exquisite pictures moment to be taken there. Though we were not staying around for the sunset as there is some extra charges attached if we want to stay further. I understand that it is considered overtime for the boatsmen, but we are not paying more than USD40 thank you very much.

Getting back, we decided to go to the Angkor Night Market which is about 5-10 minutes walk from our inn. Nice. Angkor Night Market is just in front of the Noon-Night Market. Both are completely different markets that sell the same things. I do believe that this is the nicest place to buy your trinkets and souvenirs. We bought some souvenirs (shirts, magnets, scarves, bags etc...) and I bought meself and my sister suede chic bags. I know. It is lovely though, but I couldn't be arsed to show it to you. There are some lovely cheap scarves but I declined to buy those as I am sure I would not be using it.

We get back to the inn, super dusty and excited with all the things we bought. Our room tv have pretty good cables and there are a few movie channels (same as Astro) and some other local channels from other countries to choose from. We finished our night in front of the tv with a cup of Maggi Mee that we bought from Malaysia. Just in case kebuloq di negara orang.

Comments

Some said…
well at least driver boat tu cakap english yang very excellent.
frH said…
lagi? xkan day 1 jek ...

ehh cambodia mata wang dia mmg usd ke? damnnn.

xde ke gamba souveniours yg rare..?
Dils said…
some:
Nak sedapkan hati sendri la tuh. Keskeskes.


FrH:
Wah gamba souvenir yg rare camne tuh? Hahaha. Nanti la aku tunjuk separa dua yg rare.

Die ade matawang die sendri RIEL. Tapi byk gak guna USD. kenkdg dalam riel aku rase lagi die melampau plak naikkan.

Baru 1 post maa. Sory. Sangatlah bz campo dengan komputer rusak lagi 2 hari. Huhuhu. Akan ku percepatkan.

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.