Skip to main content

Of War criminals, Magicians and Lawyers



The Dark Room

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Dark Room tells the stories of three ordinary Germans: Helmut, a young photographer in Berlin in the 1930s who uses his craft to express his patriotic fervour; Lore, a twelve-year-old girl who in 1945 guides her young siblings across a devastated Germany after her Nazi parents are seized by the Allies; and, fifty years later, Micha, a young teacher obsessed with what his loving grandfather did in the war, struggling to deal with the past of his family and his country.

3 stories in one novel. If there are some similar theme with all of these stories is that there are all related to a Nazi sympathizer/officer or are ones.

The first stories was simple and sad. The second of the starving children story on a journey to their grandmother are the one I most can't stand. It is too heartbreaking. I kinda like skim read it. Not that I skip here and there. But I kinda scanned the words without delving much into it. Too painful. The third story is the one I kinda most exasperated with. I guess I don't get the guilt. I get survivor guilt. But the obsession with your ancestors sin is your sin is not something I get behind.

However I might feel about the stories the writing is simple and powerful. For a debut novel, this is a well thought of book. Most of the time I can't identify with the characters but maybe because I can't imagine being in their spot. I hated the way she written the dialogue though.


The Prestige

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A story 2 magicians obsession in trying to outperform each other.

I never watch the movie as I never got the time. Every time it is on I seems to miss it. But I was intrigued enough to pick up the book.

First going in the narrative of Andrew I am impatient on how it will play out. but once it start with Borden I was entertained. Then Angier narrative makes the book even more intriguing and want me to reread again Borden narrative on what I had missed. I love the twist at the end. I am haunted by the ending and wondered what really ending.

If there is one complain I could find is that the ending leave me wanting and with more questions. (Slight spoiler ahead) What happened to Angier? Why there are so many prestige of him?. What Andrew going to do with his brother?

A very entertaining and intriguing story with unsatisfactory ending though it maybe what the author wishes. I did read that Christopher Priest thinks the movie is brilliant and wishes he apply the same way on how it goes in the movie to the book. So I am now wishing I could watch the movie.



The Street Lawyer

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

About: A lawyer violent encounters with a homeless man who held him hostage sets him on a path of self discovery and a coverup at his firm.

Grisham books to me is like a snack. not filling, but a fast, enjoyable and light reading. This book is exactly that. Though I gave it a 2 because it feels a bit preachy.

Felt throughout the book that I am being fed statistic and facts about homelessness but nothing on the emotion side of it. I never get a clear picture on what kind of person Michael is and that makes him boring, even during the most exciting point of his life he seems to be disassociated.

The summary is that while I enjoyed the book , the story feels hollowed.

Comments

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.