Skip to main content

Latest book reviews

Wuthering HeightsWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The passion of Catherine and Heathcliff. A love so strong that it defy conventionality. That is what I usually heard when people refer to Wuthering Heights. And it was . Passion. Wild unbridled raw love. 

For this book, I was tempted to put only 1 star but!!, there was something powerful in this book towards the end that makes me feel morbid and despondent and fearful. All of the characters are unlikable but they remain true to their self even towards the end. It is as if she wrote it because she was compelled to get these horrible character out, like exorcising demons out of the system and are completely helpless in how they turned out to be because they will not be thwarted even in their author's hand.



David Golder, The Ball, Snow in Autumn, The Courilof AffairDavid Golder, The Ball, Snow in Autumn, The Courilof Affair by Irène Némirovsky
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I already read and reviewed David Golder so not gonna comment here.

The Ball - the POV of this story is from this girl who longs to be a part of her mother attention and glitz and glamour. This story is about shifting of power. Of when you were a child and suddenly you realized your parents do not hold all the answers or wisdom and they are sometimes as childish as the child they are bringing up in the world. This is a wonderful short story.

Snow in Autumn - A servant story on the collapse of her master family in the Russian Revolution. I don't really like this story. Bit too depressing and it kinda goes on and on a bit without a point, but it was still very sad.

The Courilof Affair - Is my favorite of it all. The story of its assasin and its victim. I love their relationship in this. Though I was a bit lost at first, but after the narrative became a bit clearer , the narrator and its victim, their relationship is beautiful and tragic.

Love the stories though you need to push through some of the descriptions a bit.



Searching For PemberleySearching For Pemberley by Mary Lydon Simonsen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

In this story, Maggie worked for the US war office at London and while there in England, she chanced upon a family whose ancestors was based on Pride and Prejudice , Elizabeth and Darcy. While in England in researching this family, she also found love(s).

Okay. To me there are two stories here. One of the Lacey family whose supposedly is the inspiration for Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy. The other is Maggie stories.

If I can give a star, the Lacey family I will give one, which is somewhat enjoyable, but I am kinda embarassed to read and annoyed. Because there are so many references to Pride and Prejudice , where for one, I think most of people who picked up this book know Pride and Prejudice inside and out. Secondly, while I believed the author love Jane Austen wholeheartedly which is why she penned this novel, if I am Miss Austen herself I would be insulted since the story seems to insinuate that she borrows her stories and characters heavily from other people lives rather than weaved her own.

As for Maggie story herself, it was ok but kinda weak. If it was just her story the book will not hold up on her own. I never quite get it why Jack and Beth just suddenly open up to Maggie and not to other people about their ancestors. It was never conveyed but just accepted.

I do wish we had more of Maggie story and her family in Minooka rather than an unnecessary long windedness of the Laceys which we all know what happened since it does not differ much from Pride and Prejudice one.

Comments

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.