Skip to main content

Day 25 - A character who you can relate to the most

While first starting with the list, I left this one empty because I can't think of a character that felt like she can be me.

Then I read One Day, in anticipation of the movie starring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess and widely recommended by many in the internet communities.

Before I started on the character, let me just give you a brief summary of One Day which a book I came to love.  And I would totally read again.



One Day tells of a story between Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew that spans 20 years. However this book only revisit what happened on that particular one day of each year. And that one day is the anniversary when they first met. 

One Day is a lovely, sweet book. I always enjoyed British writers. There is something in their work that I found wholesome. I go in easily into books written by British writers. I have no idea why, I just found that I have a preference in reading of books written by them. 

So One Day is exactly how I imagine it would be. It is sweet, at times gut wrenching, totally relatable. It have its predictable moments, I know exactly what the character going to face, but that does not deter me from the enjoying it. It is after all about life. Life can be a bit predictable sometimes. 

While the book is about these 2 people, I do believe it is Emma Morley who keeps both of them together. Emma Morley started as this geeky rebellious girl and turned into a magnificent woman later on. 

I completely relate to Emma struggles in her feeling. Especially on her word play, how she try to get her earnestness through, on how she try to say but at the same time shielding her words. I had done exactly the same. I understand her depression when life did not goes as planned. On her various life stages, I had been there. I experienced what she goes through. Not all of them, but some of them. Her backtracking of words, but not at the same time reversing the backtracking all that endears me to her, because I had once been like that. Maybe I sometimes am. 

For one day each year, for 20 years, I get to know Emma Morley. At each year, I understand her more and understand her actions. This is a character that could be me. This is a character that I could be. For that she is absolutely a character I love and relate to. 

Comments

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.