Skip to main content

The Historian

Kenapa sudah lama tidak belogging?

I was granted MC for 3 days last week. Boring days indeed with my computer not functioning (motherboard lebur) and I can't accessed my series. I did manage to finish watching Angel Season Five finally. So now, for another set of old series rerun. Haven't decide yet on Dexter or The Tudors. Though if I had finished 'acquiring' Felicity, I would surely watch that first.

So in between time staying in bed and couch, I immersed myself in the book The Historian. Like any serious novel, I was afraid it is going to be tedious or pointless like The Geographer's Library. But I did enjoyed reading it.


The story is about a young girl discovering a series of letters in her father's office. Thus from there she learned her family secret and legacy on a quest for the truth about Vlad the Impaler.

So more and less, it is about the history of vampires or Dracula to be exact.

Well then, why I like it? I'll make it on point form for me to easier write it and take less time ( as I need to do some work :D), and I am not writing an article anyway.

1. Vlad the Impaler. Those who are fascinated on the legends of vampire and Dracula so called, will enjoy reading about Vlad the Impaler.

2. The book pace is set beautifully. When you had reached around 50 pages and more it will be hard to put down. It is a thick book. About 800++ pages I think.

3. The beautiful description. I especially love the description on Istanbul (one of the places that I would really like to go).

4. It makes you yearn to become a historian. Opening dusty forgotten old books, looking at old maps figuring out 500 years ago this place is where, looking at an old rich place steeped with history and knowing the stories behind it.


Some flaws:
1. The ending is a bit anticlimactic after some very intriguing buildup. Though it is ok enough

2. The letters addressed to the daughter is a tad bit descriptive. I meant, yes the father wants to include all... but these letters was written in a hurry and meant to include all his experience, but it will work more if he had written a journal before and thus leaving the journal to the daughter.

All in all. I like it. I intend to read it again in a few years after I forgot most of what had happened. Or when the movie is coming out. Heard that a movie is in the making, the script is being made as I typed this. Standard fare Hollywood, hope it doesn't sucks.

Comments

bought the book early last year since it was on the top 5 in MPH

i was hoping for more blood instead of the slow hunt in Turkey.. its a lil bit slow to my liking. Kinda like how i felt when i read Memoirs of A Geisha

the ending sucks! the daughter replacing the dad kan. i think that was the ending..
Dils said…
Heh. Yeah, I remembered you don't like much Memoirs of a Geisha while I revere it.

I think the pace is just nice. Very descriptive which is the reason I think you say it is slow.

The ending is kinda meh. All those buildup and then poof, Dracula dead. The ending is the daughter received a book at the end, suggesting that Dracula is still at large or his minions.

It left me a bit confused.

I would rate it highly if the ending is a bit spectacular.

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.