Skip to main content

August book reviews!


Flashforward

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Synopsis:

Two minutes and seventeen seconds that changed the world

Suddenly, without warning, all seven billion people on Earth black out for more than two minutes. Millions die as planes fall from the sky, people tumble down staircases, and cars plow into each other.

But that’s the least of the survivors’ challenges. During the blackout, everyone experienced a glimpse of what his or her future holds—and the interlocking mosaic of these visions threatens to unravel the present.


I first watched the series ( horrible series though I wish John Cho is in more worthy shows) then I saw this book on sale and thought ehh.. why not.

I was surprised on how much I like it. The 'sciency' part of it is easy to understand enough. The writing is simple , even the characters are simple. It is a bit weird towards the end but I guess eh ok je la.

The plot is simple, a worldwide blackout that caused all people around the world glimpsed their future 20 years forward is an interesting premise. I like it when it gave ala World War Z a glimpsed in how the world react to it. The characters all is just a simple straightforward characters, to me even the most 'passionate' of them are stoic in nature. Interesting premise but it could be more in terms of characters I guess.

If it's better than the really boring series. Then I am good. Hehe.


Celebutantes

My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Synopsis: Twenty-six-year-old Lola Santisi, daughter of an Academy Award-winning mega-director and a former cover model, is Hollywood Royalty without a kingdom—or even a condo—to call her own.  This “Actorholic,” who also suffers from “Career Deficit Disorder,” is looking for more from life than what her famous last name has offered, namely her mother’s last-season Chanel hand-me-downs and the lurking shadow of her father’s fame. In her latest gig as a Hollywood ambassador, Lola’s stepping out of her Louboutins and into fashion’s ultimate combat boots to engage in LA's cruelest blood sport: convincing celebrities to wear an unknown designer's gowns to the Oscars.
Providing advice, emotional support, and even a new mantra or two are her BFF (Best Friend Forever) Kate Woods, an obsessively ambitious talent agent desperate to go from unter to รผber, and her BAF (Best Actress Forever) Cricket Curtis, a struggling up-and-comer trying to surpass her role as a coma victim on Grey’s Anatomy and overcome one rejection after another to become the next Cameron Diaz or Nicole Kidman, or the next anybody.  Together, they dodge fashion roadkill while navigating General Motors’ Annual Fashion Show, the Gagosian dinner at Mr. Chow, and more.  Ultimately, the week culminates at the รผber-exclusive Vanity Fair Oscar party, where the allotted time slot on your invitation marks how far in or out you really are.  But who will be left standing with job, heart, and stilettos still intact at the after-after-Oscar party?

Horrible. All of the characters are annoying. I thought I would be entertained with all the Hollywood name dropping because I am obsessed with Hollywood gossip. But I was not because most of it seems so smug. The book was full of it.

I have no inkling if most Hollywood artists behaved as appallingly as in the books, but because the main character Lola is such a caricature I felt like Hollywood is another planet in a romantic comedy land.

Everything about Lola seems to be such an exaggeration that no wonder people do not want to take her seriously. And this make the book bad because I can't stand her characters, the fluff name dropping and even the writing. Everyone here is so whiny it just makes everything.. wearisome.



Wait For the Dawn

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Synopsis: The story of a young woman who leaves her safe but unfulfilling life to work in a city far from home and begin a new life. Friendship with Guy Anderson blossoms into love but when Guy is called away, their passionate leave-taking has dramatic consequences for them both.

A very typical, a poor girl meet rich guy bla bla some hardship and happiness ensues.

Though there are many unnecessary deaths in this book. I especially object to the deaths at the end. Really... it reminded me of Anne Shirley complaining to Marilla that at their story club when Jane Andrews don't know what to do with her characters she will kill them off. Haha. That is exactly how I feel about this book.

Simple writing, ok characters, unnecessarily long, if it were a short story it would still be readable, all nicely tied up at the end which is a bit blah.

Comments

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.