Skip to main content

What tamadun?

I was hopping and surfing through MSN webs when my eye caught the below headline under a Science page. Wah wheee! Malaysians archaelogical finds highlighted in MSN.

So baca dulu kalau rajin. Saya sambung selepas quote ini.

Malaysian dig reveals ancients were high-tech
Uncovered remnants of an iron smelt dating back some 1,700 years

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Excavations at a site in northern Malaysia have uncovered the remnants of an iron smelt dating back to the third or fourth century A.D., a find that shows the area's early people were more advanced than previously thought, an archaeologist said Friday.

Parts of a furnace used to heat iron and a structure believed to be a house or storage area were found in northern Kedah state, an area that was once home to the Bujang Valley people, said Mokhtar Saidin, the director of the Center for Archaeological Research Malaysia at the University of Science Malaysia. He is in charge of the excavation.

He said a lab in Florida carbon dated some of the material taken from the ancient site and found the sample was about 1,700 years old. He said the margin of error for the test was 40 years.

"This result ... really shows that the Bujang Valley people during that time were very high-tech," Mokhtar said.

Mokhtar said archeologists found iron rods, debris and a nozzle to pump air inside the furnace. They also discovered beads, copper bracelets and pottery at the site.

He said the findings were "totally different" from earlier discoveries of temples in the area, which did not reveal much about the daily life and commerce in the area.

Other than the Hindu and Buddhist temples that have been uncovered, little is known about the people of the Bujang Valley. There is even debate over whether they were an actual civilization.

Harry Truman Simanjuntak, a researcher at the National Research Center of Archaeology in Jakarta who was not involved in the dig, said the dating of the iron smelt to the third or fourth century appears reasonable.

But he cautioned that more evidence must be unearthed before concluding the Bunjang Valley people were an actual civilization, defined by complex hierarchical social and other structures.

"It's too early to say it is a civilization," he said.

Mokhtar argues the Bujang people are a civilization because temples imply a social structure.

Mokhtar said archeologists still had to excavate about 30 other mounds, which were mapped out in a 2007 survey of the area. He said he expected work on the two current sites to take three more months. After that another two mounds may be excavated this year.


Ok. First of all this is all very Zahi Hawass to me. With the highlighted high tech headline news, I am assuming finds kinda like Baghdad Batteries discovery proportions. That you can say high tech. But the discovery of iron smelts which is when the Iron Age in India (I am putting my benchmark there) had already passed and go around 200BC and 200AD which well placed the 1700 years ago marks like... so-so la kan. Like the cautious Jakarta researcher said. Reasonable.

Of course I am not well versed in the ways of Bujang Valley histories and archaelogicals 'thingamajits'. So maybe that is a big thing in SE Asia? But if the people from Bujang Valley come or their cultural and religious views originates from India, then it would not be too far to assume that knowledge of iron used also travels here la kan.

Though I am also very amused when the Indonesian researcher asking the Malaysia's archaelogy director to not reach to a hasty conclusion that Bujang Valley can be constitute as a civilization.

Kinda like

" Eh so you got Bujang Valley and found iron. Big deals. Not a real civilization pon ok. Bukan macam Majapahit atau Srivijaya yang gah itu. "

And the Malaysia goes like

" Yes, it is!"

But like I said. Aku hanya noobs who only have a glimmer of interest in archaelogy. What do I know on the discovery of iron that date back to 1700 years ago or if Lembah Bujang is really a tamadun. Come to think of it I am kinda hazy if during History secondary schools, did the textbooks refer to it as tamadun or not.

Comments

Some said…
American archeologist was digging in american soil to 100 mtrs deep and found a railway track, so they conclude that 100 years ago, lots of train were available in the area.
Peru archeologist was digging far deeper and found plastic, which they then conclude that more than 100 years ago..human technologies have advance much that they have plastic...
then came malaysian archeologist digging deeper to 500 mtrs and found none. The only conslusion made was....



500 years ago, human advancement in technology were so advance that they alreaday have wireless technology..
Dils said…
Huhuhu. Byk la tu collection jokes die ye.
Dils said…
He got loads of jokes like that
Anonymous said…
Considering the evidence for iron smelting in Southeast Asia goes as early as 1,500 BCE, it's not as 'high-tech' as it sounds. What the article (indeed, all parties) have failed to highlight is that this is one of the earliest evidence for ironworking activities found in Malaysia. The question of civilisation isn't that big a question after all - archaeological evidence point to large-scale habitation from at least the 5th century, now 4th if you consider the date from the iron smelting site. The key question to Bujang Valley is whether it was an Indian trading outpost, or whether it was a local settlement that got 'Indianized'.
Dils said…
Right on. I was thinking that the article seems to highlight the wrong thing.

They should highlight that it was a first in Malaysia and not focused so much on whether Bujang Valley can be called high tech and civilization which is simply... needs more evidence.

But does a large scale of habitation meant Bujang Valley civilization or part of other civilization or just kampung that seems to have a lot of temples. Huhuhu. The last question is interesting. I used to think it was a local settlement that was Indianized.

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.