Skip to main content

Up to a point

Yesterday morning, I was about to go to work. I was then at the traffic light just opposite my workplace waiting to cross the road and saw this old man pushing his wheelchair next to me. He was dressed in baju Melayu and his left leg is bandaged heavily. One of the little wheel on his wheelchair is kinda senget, so it took a considerable effort for him to push it forward.

It was 9.35 am. Late for work as usual. LOL.

Anyway, trying to not let all those hours long ago watching TV Pendidikan not go to waste, I offered to help the pakcik and pushed his wheelchair across the road. You know, so I wouldn't be traumatised when the light goes RED and cars honking or swerving around trying to not hit him.

When I was pushing the wheelchair I noticed that the bandage was dirty, from dragging his bandaged feet on the road or dirtied floor I think. His dress was dishevelled. He had the appearance and the smell of someone who had not bathe for a day or two. I swallowed my disgust and pushed him onwards.

After I pushed him across the road, he kept on pointing onwards. Obviously he wanted me to go on pushing his wheelchair. Maybe it is a relief for him finding somebody that can give him a break. I obliged and pushed him on while inwardly sighing that I am going to be more late to work. I kept on asking him where he wants to go, but his speech is hard to understand. He kept on pointing forward indicating that I should pushed him further onwards.

After a while I realized this is getting ridiculous. Frankly, I need to get to work as I had a lot of work to get started in and I was late. Also, I am beginning to wonder if the pakcik is going to ask me to keep on pushing him to whatever faraway destination he wants to head to. I asked him "Jauhnye pakcik nak pegi..." (Dalam hati daku berkata "Hint dah bagi dah la tu kan untuk pakcik cakap... tidak mengapa la nak, sampai sini saja.. "), he replied pitifully "Nak buat camne". And honest to God. That is the only thing I understood from him even though he was babbling non stop about taxi, and jalan and God knows what else.

About 10 minutes passed and I feel like being taken advantage of. There should be a clause in helping people! Damn you, TV Pendidikan for not showing what to do when a schoolboy who feel the need to help the helpless at the moment also needs to catch his last bus home or are late for school! Would the boy risked his last ride home and face walking kilometres away! Would he risked helping others when he know the punishment for datang lambat akan dirotan at assembly! Oh! How would he choose?

Though my options are not so direlah. Aku saje je nak drama lebih. But I am itching to get away because frankly the smell is beginning to bother me. And the wheelchair handle feels so melekit2 and icky. I kept on wishing I can go to the toilet and to scrub my hands clean with soap. Then I realized that he would keep on asking me to continue to push him on and frankly my revulsion coupled with the fact that I am already late to work wins through my sympathy and feelings of being a good citizen. Yes. Personal interest for the wins!

I stopped a while and said that I can only push him up just further up and I need to get back. So then I left and flees the scene without looking back! I did hope that another quite free good natured citizen would continue from there onwards and pushed his wheelchair to wherever his heart desire to. Sorrylah pakcik, saya dah lambat.

I did feel guilty for feeling repulsed by the pakcik personal hygiene and overall smells and also for just leaving him to push his own wheelchair. Guess I am just as selfish as any other people. Lepas tu berangan nak join Peace Corps la kan? And my mom wants me to be a nurse? Huhuhu... But... What would you have done? Would you continue onwards eh?

Comments

iceroll said…
I will continue onwards...NOT! haha. I think u did the right thing. Enough thing. Ok le tuh berpada2 buat baik, buat jahat jgn sekali, tapi buatlah dua atau tiga kali atau lebih. haha. But that is OK I thing, if it is me, on the way to work, sorry la brader tak dapek nak tolong. Kalo balik keje mungkin bole laa..
i never help the handicapped. yes i refus eto use the PC term " physicall challenged".

why i never help

pasal i already derma a few bucks a month to their plight

yes yes

aku memang jahat buy i pay money instead of kudrat pasal aku tak tahan the disgusting sight

yes yes

i think it is disgusting..sue me
Some said…
esok lusa orang tua tu tunggu lagi kt situ..."maner la budak pompuan yg tolong aku hari tu"....nak mintak tolak lagi...
Dils said…
iceroll:
Kalo awek cun yg patah kaki memerlukan pertolongan. Haruslah menerpa menolong.


effi:
Oh...Haha.. I always averted my eyes when I saw the handicapped. I mean jenis yang tadek tangan or kaki.

There are also some that you just can't help but looked and wondered if they are really handicapped or they can really bend their knees or arms that way to garner a few bucks of sympathy.


Some:
Hihii... Terpk gak kalo pakcik tu nanti duk cari2 pastu paksa2 suh tolong.
ask_far said…
malaikat 2. Hahahahahaha
Dils said…
wahahahaha.... cilaker.
Anonymous said…
hahaha. lawak laa kau ni dila ...
but if i were in ur shoes, aku pn jadik mcm tu jugak kot .. agak2 laa kan ..

tp part nurse tu mmg xbleh blah.. xsesueiiiii

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.