Skip to main content

Not enough of a bargain

So I read that Malaysian Film Producers Association is proposing to up the price of Hollywood movie at the cinema at double the price.

Wow! That is just preposterous.

First of all, I do understand they want to protect local filmmakers. But putting the price at RM20 per ticket is kinda ludicrous.

It would seems like instead of protecting the local filmmakers, they are punishing moviegoers for not making the 'right' choice. There are all kinds of outrage, and some even avowed to avoid local movies altogether if this proposal is being made into reality.

Maybe they just up it to a few ringgit, is a bit OK (not more than half!!). It would give local filmmakers an advantage. Or try to increase their screening time, meaning, usually it is around 2 to 4 weeks that a local movie got its screen time at the local cinema. Some I notice only 2 weeks or less! Words of mouth on how good a local movie is kinda a slow momentum around here... Like I heard about a movie that is good, pastu bile nak tengok, not shown anymore! So they should actually increase it.

And of course the usual argument, make better movie! Which in our local filmmakers defense, they had heard us plea and gave us quite quality film even though with some holes in the middle. Though believe me, some just continue to spurn out nonsense. I watched Cicakman at cinema dulu and regretted it til my dying day for spending such an amount of time and money at such rubbish. And they expect us to go and see that sequel? Ugh. (Tho I don't really hate its soundtrack... kuar topic!)

I read some US study that shows, people are going to the movies while cutting on other leisure or entertainment activities during recession such as in the depression times because it is an affordable entertainment to be had and of course that feel good feeling. Increasing the price when times are getting tough just seems like punishing local viewers who also continue to watch local and Hollywood movies. And it would certainly make the 'underground pirated' clans clap their hands in glee.

Jeeeezzz. There are some movies I would fork out rm20 for Hollywood or not Hollywood, and I notice ramai je duk kelompok at local movie. Sometimes I really doubt it that it is the viewer faults. Kalo camnih, 'acquiring' je la yek.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Man, this really make me pissed. Its sounds like, we being punished because we did not go and watch some crappy movies, and make them richer, so that they can make more crappy movies, and they get even richer. We being punished for that? That really make me pissed!

Okay let do something about it. Instead of u pay RM10 for a hollywood movie and RM10 for a local movie, how about u spend the whole RM20 for the hollywood movie and don't spend even a penny for local? How's that? How's bloody that?

Afdlin Shauki used to say, "power to the people" in his blog. Well, this is the right time people! Show them our power!

I'm gonna blog about this.
Dils said…
Huhu.. so mane blog post nyer?

Hehe. Afdhlin Shauki ekceli sokong that idea taw. I didn't post the other links. Tapi he also said that mungkin bole backfired as people mungkin akan ignore terus local movies and save up the money for english one.
Some said…
that is definitely one stupid idea. Raising movie ticket price does not hold people from spending their money on foreign movies. Naik kan la harga tiket, nnti orang start beli cetak rompak banyak2...lagi rugi...try la improve story line and come up ngan more original ideas, better budget, explore technology baru utk buat movie. Baru la semangat nak tgk movie local...takde la balik2 tgk muka2 yang sama je dlm sume movie...prop yang sama pakai kat 4 movie berbeza...
Shu said…
we are going for quality, not just the price kan.. kalo ade local movie yg bagus, org tgk jgk.

kalo harga naik... kita download je. business cetak rompak pun sure makin laris..
Dils said…
Some:

hohoho... tu la. Haih. Macam Cicakman, the tech is actually not bad. Tapi die completely lack a good script. Tolong jangan duk letak slapstick comedy in every film Melayu. Bukannye kite orang ni retarded sangat pon.


Shu:
Definitely. People are looking into quality. Tapi tah la, kenkdgkan I think marketing pon kurang. Marketing banyak kena reach pada usual viewers. No tactic to attract new viewers. Tu yang susah tuh.

Hahaha... Skang pon nak beli pirated pon pk pk jugak. Duit jugak tu.
i will still watch hollywoerd movies even at that price

why?

i only watch one movie per month and i have student card.. leh diskaun

HA HA
Shu said…
i found my student card back in ukm years.. maybe blh try guna... :P
Dils said…
Hoho... Mine matric card telah ditebuk oleh security campus before getting out.

Cis. Jahat tul.

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.