Skip to main content

Vices and Versus

For the first time ever in yearsss. I managed to watch an hour long drama Melayu and be thoroughly entertained. In a good way!

Now.. I do not know if this very rare occurrence take place due to Effi's MBI or his insult on my BM (LOL), or the dry up of series in the La La Land, but I found myself transfixed in front of the idiot box.

Oh the cerita? Its Vice Versa. And its just my luck to watch it on the first episode.

Taken from TV3 site, the sypnopsis:
Couple dynamics is given a whole new meaning in vice Versa. Things get interesting when the men get together..but that's nothing compared to when the ladies start talking when they meet. Perspective matters at the micro level as well as in the big picture. And when it comes to men and women, perspective is rarely the same.

Kinda like Lipstick Jungle, but with less the gloss and glamour and the added perspective of men. Actually its an interesting concept. The first half an hour, they show the women side of things, em bitching about men, basically what their say. Then the next half an hour, they show the men bitching and thoughts and stories which correlates with the event on the first half an hour, only looking on from their perspective.

I may even watch again. Gasp! My sister shouted at her husband that I am enamored with a Malay drama and I refused to budge in front of the TV. Basically making fun of me. I may never hear the last of it especially if my brother get hold of this fact. (The bro whom I love to torment with the theme song of "Gerak Khas". He is in absolute denial that he had ever argued with me years dahulu in the matter of him wanted to watch GK while I was watching Friends, which was in the same time slot)

I do however have some 'thorns' with some of the thing in this story, that seems persistently to be in almost every typical Malay drama. Grrr...

The script is still cringe worthy at times. But hey! I don't cringe as much as others. And to be fair some English series also have pretty cringey moments and lines.

Orange juice. I don't know if anyone else notice this, but almost all drama Melayu, in the restaurant scene ke ape ke... the drink of choice is always... always... freaking orange juice. I think this reason alone is why I abhor ordering orange juice. And don't think you Vice Versa can get away with this, since I could see briefly an orange juice the main character had with her meal.

When they dine, it is always at some swanky restaurant where there are very little people, with real cloth napkin, and 2 tablecloths. I totally get if you are on date or meeting a client, for dinner. Tapi lunch hour? For chit chatting?

Office yang... do not look much of any offices I ever encountered upon. I won't give so much crap on this since prolly my encounters with offices are only limited to boring depts only. Maybe filming company office does look swanky, clean, no files everywhere, have leather chair, lots of space and some exotic looking standing lamp to boot. But when would I get an office in a drama Melayu that look like any other crap offices that I seen so far?

The business dealings. Come on drama Melayu scriptwriters. Jangan malas2. Take pride in your work. We always get that Character A are handling some sorts of business. What kind of business? Why does these deals needs to be done in overseas? What kind of clients? Who are your mysterious clients? If you are doing a 'cerita' regarding career woman, a little insight on the career would be mighty helpful.

The argument between parents done in front of children. Now. To be fair again, this might be a part of the story on how parents should NOT argue in front of the children. But adalah cara ditunjukkan like its freaking okay for a parent to argue in front of their children pasal child support and on how the father is a lazy bum. Ini sampai anaknya tidak lalu makan roti canai la oi mengenangkan bapaknye tadek duit. I do hope they address this problem, which that its never OK to argue in front of your children. Inilah punca2 relationship and trust issues ok. And so I will wait for several episodes more before bitching on this again.

Well... these are the sorts of discrepancies that I found irritating in most Malay cerita or redundant and seems to be also prevalent in this one.

But I am also a kind and generous ruler criticizer. I will admit that
  • The story is engaging
  • The script is better than the usual craps
  • The actors and actresses are a great batch of talents.
  • Its funny that Aziz M Osman and Nur Aliah Lee are willing to play the part of the divorced couple. They seems to do it in great fun too
  • The fresh new outlook
  • The theme song and the 'joget' by the actresses at the beginning is so terrible and corny and not to be taken seriously that its enjoyably watchable

p/s: Egad! A blogworthy sorts of history where I posted a recap regarding Malay drama? Wow!

Comments

Taqiyuddin said…
It's only the second week of new Malaysia and already we can see positive changes. I can't imagine how it will be two months from now! International hit song from a local talent? Highly acclaimed malay movie about the extinction of river terrapins? Patin tempoyak as a highly sought after delicacy in foreign restaurants? The possibilities are endless and I am proud to call myself Malaysian!

(montage fade into logos of a rocket, a full moon and twin sickles on a field of green pasture dotted with red-blue wild flowers blooming under a clear blue sky)
uhuh

i tell you this much. i like watching Kaber Kushi Kaber Zero.it is the zul yahya superhero drama on TV3. yeah! i admit to watching 3rd rate drama on a regular basis

but hey! at least it is not GK. GK is just too......HASLAM for me. too many leather clad baddies with twirly tache and the awful slow mo action sequence. for god sake Haslam! even john woo stopped using the slow mo trick. grow up

hehehe..

as for the melayu menjalankan bisnes. well.. siapa mahu dengar people negotiating contracts worth only a few thousan. in malay drama the starting bid will always be 1 MEEELION. and you will alway see they read the figures from a single slim file! wow... all that million ringgit worth of cost assestment/calculation can be printed on 3 pieces of paper. they musta have printed using 5point fonts and single spacing. printed both side!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH
dueng said…
and i wonder why don't you write it in BM. i must say citer melayu lack of realistic aspect especially bila buat cerita korporat. maklumlah, derang tak berapa rajin nak buat research. also, mungkin itu jer kot yang orang malaysia boleh terima. education level and comprehension about benda2 camtu still low.

"fresh orange, please". itu skrip common. hehehe.

pasal tu suka tengok citer jepun, lebih realistic especially pasal work environment pasal orang jepun memang suka kerja. tapi still lacking here and there especially in stock market POV sebab complicated sikit kot untuk mortal like us to understand the jargon.

more education needed!
Dils said…
Taqi:
you mocked me! :P

Effi:
Sometimes Malay drama just need to be watch to have something to mock to.

malay drama the starting bid will always be 1 MEEELION this is so true!

Hahaha.. I guess cerita pasal berniaga burger atau pon setup a lame ass IT company in a brink of a bankrupt without some govt funds tender is too much for cerita Melayu


Dueng:
As you see in my comments to Effi, my writing BM is lame ass... I was thinking the same too, but it will take me longer to write in Malay.. more like to make sure that what I want to say is portrayed OK. Tidak macam budak darjah 6 baru nak buat karangan!

but have faith in my speaking abilities as I got experiences in mewakili various sekolah and such in bersyarah in BM or English.

Could not go far only due to my stage fright!




But you're right. Japanese jdo is of high quality in interpreting work life. I meant byk jugak series die centered on work related issues e.g. doctors, designers, business, advertising.

Need in depth research! Something our writers in TV need to learn



p/s: Maybe I will try to type in BM again. Tengok lah kan. If only for you guys to mock me... Need to have longer time for that. Maybe in wiken!

Oh.. happy friday and have a gud weekend!

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.