Skip to main content

How was your Hari Raya?

That's the basic questions you got the first week you got back from Raya hols.

My Hari Raya was fine but boring. Things are quiet since all my sisters are now married and my youngest bro think it would be fine to raya-ing alone at Sabah (he was mistaken since he kept on whining to call us there is no food. Hah.. Padan Muka. Nak sangat rase Raya sensorang) . So it was only my Mother, me and my other brother. My brother also agreed to work for 1st to 3rd Raya. Things are even more quiet.

First Raya was spent with looking after my grandmother. She is wheelchair bound and there is nobody at the house she is staying. I spent the day lolling in idleness, eating kueh raya while reading a story book. Yeah.. how's that for a jolly raya.

Raya 2nd and onwards was more... bising with the arrival of the usual sdara mara and my sisters and their hubbies.

Food this year is not as abundant as last year. But I manage to put on weight even though that usually don't happen before these for Hari Raya ::scowl:: Bah..

I also manage to finish the Buffy CDs I brought back to JB. Reread again several books that I love. Repolish back skills on the organ. Going to the zoo (weird? No... great ways to get rid of pesky children) . Catch up with old friends (only few) and family gossips. I think the only reason I enjoy family gathering is the family juicy history and gossips. Its even better than drama swasta!

Also got the unpleasant realization all of the people in my family (distant or close) are getting thinner while I am consider the fattest. Am so wanting to join my brother raya-ing at Sabah at that moment. And not to forget, the incredibly boring questions shot down to me by sedara2: "WHEN ARE YOU GETTING MARRIED?". Man. If I would be married, then they would ask.. when would you have a child. If I already have a child, they would ask when the 2nd one would be coming. It is never going to end! I think my sisters smile was a bit tight whenever they answers the above questions (exception of getting married.. that is only for moi only. And my smile is just as tight).

*solemnly swearing to self* will not ask these questions to poor nieces and sdara mara when I will be a matronly kindly stoutish woman.

The aftermath of Raya... I am now officially sick. Gah. Flu and fever.

Comments

Anonymous said…
ur brother raya kat sabah alone?? i dont buy it. ntah2 raya ngan marka sabah tak? marka sabah cun2 woo..hehe
Unta@Jitra said…
Raya aku diselubungi ketakutan... takut air naik / bah / banjir hahahaha

Went to some frens house... raya2... lepaking most of the time kt rumah... tgk tv... sambil abiskan biskut raya...

Ahh rendang n kuah kacang by my mom... the best in the world... i shud ask Jamie Oliver to come over
Taqiyuddin said…
raya is kinda kewl. I mean the whole events that leads to raya, the subsequent days after raya, up until raya haji. well.. not really up until raya haji, but i see raya haji as the end of it all.

During Ramadhan, you have all this activities that you do that changes the norm. Then there's all that pasar ramadhan. The shopping spree. The laidback office environment. The buffet buka posa events. The late sahur events. Plenty of things that deviates from normal life. It's good. It's like a holiday from the norm.

Then there's raya. Hectic, but it somehow validate yourself as a human being that lives in a society. You go round and meetup with your relatives. After balik kampung, it's celebration in the office time. Then there's the open houses the following weekends. All this continues up untill end of syawal.

After the end of Syawal, we don't really feel that it's already over. There's still that anticipation of raya haji. The celebration do not end abruptly.

Yeah i love malaysia.
Dils said…
iceroll:
raye ngan awek die kut. Dunno. But it sure as hell would not compete against my mom cooking during raya as he well knows it.

unta:
yeah... I hear kedah banjir. My sis kat changlun tak la plaks. Tp tu pon pengalaman jugak.

taqi:
agreed. The bln pose.. is more.. real.. more celebratory I think. But I guess the open house make us think raya is still there.
Anonymous said…
finally an update.. finally something clever to read

i was laughing when i read the third paragraph! that was so hilarious. i mean asking them back "anak bila lagi" is pure genius. but u do av a point there. peoplekeep on asking when when when. you canr predict the future so why do they keep on asking eh? might as well ask you " bila ah siti nak cerai". the answer is still the same what " tengok la nanti!"

your raya is still better than mine. i spend ONE day at home geting stuffed with processed chicken n meat. good times. but i dont think one day of gluttony is enuff! sigh

TAQI - i still think raya has a 7 day cap off limit. no way rasa sebulan. its just not possible la. or saja carik excuse to stuff ur body with food?
Anonymous said…
finally an update.. finally something clever to read

i was laughing when i read the third paragraph! that was so hilarious. i mean asking them back "anak bila lagi" is pure genius. but u do av a point there. peoplekeep on asking when when when. you canr predict the future so why do they keep on asking eh? might as well ask you " bila ah siti nak cerai". the answer is still the same what " tengok la nanti!"

your raya is still better than mine. i spend ONE day at home geting stuffed with processed chicken n meat. good times. but i dont think one day of gluttony is enuff! sigh

TAQI - i still think raya has a 7 day cap off limit. no way rasa sebulan. its just not possible la. or saja carik excuse to stuff ur body with food?
Zuri Aqim said…
assalamualaikum....

kami datang nak beraya... tapi tak nak makan, nak duit raya jer... bleh??? ;-)
Dils said…
effi:
ah well. They lack imagination. Or I think it is something like a custom.



irfan:
*kasi duit raye 50 sen*
Some said…
Hari Raya nowadays were not the same as we used to celebrate it long ago. back when astro was never there, when greeting cards was the thing to be expected from everybody else.

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Updating my hoard of books

As my blog here, is my means in getting my thousands ( because I think it is now thousand of books ) of books inventoried, I need to update my books for the past years. I think the one I bought from 2021 to 2022.  2023 update of books will be done probably next year? lelz.  I think this was 2022 BBW sale book. Couldnt be arsed to go to Mines and bought it online. I think I already have ZOM-B. That book is probably gonna be drop in some community shelf The Shallow Seas - Dawn Farnham A novel of intrigue and Romance - Michaela MacColl Not The girls you are looking for - Aminah Mae Safi  Song of the Sea Maid - Rebecca Mascull The dust that falls from the dreams - Louis d Bernieres Zom-B - Darren Shan  The World Worst Explorer ,  Fintan Fedora Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer  Wishing for Tomorrow - Hillary McKay Snowfall - KM Peyton Girls Walk into a blind date  The fantastic family whipple  Love and Friendship - Whit Stillman The Romance Reader's Guide to Life - Sharon Pywell  Meet an