Skip to main content

Book reviews on books re a child, a criminal , a pair of twins and a sepulchre

A Theory of RelativityA Theory of Relativity by Jacquelyn Mitchard
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This is a book I would not have normally picked up. But I was bored and at my sister house so I browsed through her bookshelves.

The story is about a custody fight of a child from a parent whose was adopted. Long story short it is not easy if you died and you were adopted, your child maybe fought after for custody.

The writing is too descriptive for my taste. I don't think so we need a lot of the histories or days of the secondary characters. There seems to be a lot of backstory that also dont really panned out or ended unsatisfactorily.

It was OK lah only in short. I can't seems to find a positive point in the book but it is readable.


The Racketeer

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

About: A man was wrongly imprisoned and while in prison a Federal Judge was murdered, and this man found this is as an opportunity for his second chance, a way out.

The book is just OK with me because I dont like the main character. He was double frame but cant he be any nicer? Boo hoo your luck sucks, but basically while he was innocent, trials in life just doesnt make him a good person.

The book is fast paced and you immediately knows what is going to happen next, though it is not as thrilling as other John Grisham. The details are good though.

Not sure if I had outgrew Grisham or I picked up one of his lesser books recently, but this and the last one I had just read is just blah la. Enjoyable but I can't wait to finish it off for better things.



 
Her Fearful Symmetry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A pair of twins moved into the apartment bequeathed to them after their aunt dies and came to know their interesting neighbors.

I love the story, it was a beautiful story, fanciful, wispy, ethereal.. there are all words that came to me when ready the book.

The twins together is a whole person, but apart is just a set of personality you get annoyed of. A lot of the scenes are set in graveyards, thus reminded me a little of Neil Gaiman The Graveyard Book, where the feel of the story is the same. Though Gaiman have a sense of humour in his books.

However the absence of humour does not mean I think it is bad. The book feels light and heavy at the same time, sadness and exultant. A good book, good story and beautifully written.


Sepulchre (Languedoc, #2)

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

About891. Seventeen-year-old Lรฉonie Vernier and her brother abandon Paris for the sanctuary of their aunt's isolated country house near Carcassonne, the Domaine de la Cade. But in the nearby woods, Lรฉonie stumbles across a ruined sepulchre - and a timeless mystery whose traces are written in blood.
2007. Meredith Martin arrives at the Domaine de la Cade as part of her research for a biography she's writing. But Meredith is also seeking the key to her own complex legacy and soon becomes immersed in the story of a tragic love, a missing girl, a unique deck of tarot cards, an unquiet soul and the strange events of one cataclysmic night more than a century ago... ( as taken from Google Reads)

2 different women in 2 different era , brought together by an evil force that consumed one and threaten the other.

It was a good book. I read other reviews and many was not very favorable, but I like it enough. Some of the characters motivation seems a little weak to me, it feels like ... sheeesshhh overreaction much.. However I enjoyed the 2 characters.

I like both Leonie and Meredith. They are flawed but I like them. They feels human to me. Like Labyrinth the fantasy element also seems to be the weak link here. The danger from the supernatural evil doesn't feel threatening nor make much sense. I think it is either less is more or if you want to create a sorta history of the evil...there really should be more details, intricacies, and something that doesnt feel text bookish.

This still will not deter me to find the 3rd Languedoc series though. The supernatural element is weak IMO, but I like the characters she weaved.

Comments

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.