Skip to main content

Outsourced

Been busy for the past few days. I should be busy even now... tapi macam muak tengok documents and tables for the past 3 days, so I found a respite in blogging ok.

Had 'acquired' (as taken from eyeris's words of choice) few movies that I haven't manage to watch such as Night Watch, The Orphanage, and banyak lagi la. So since it is ramadhan month and I felt bored in lunchtime, I figured that I will try to watch one of the 'light' movie in my list. One of those are Outsourced. It took me 4 days of lunchtime viewing (tempat duduk gile tak strategik ok, and even though we have free reign in the internet, I do not think the bosses will smile on workers viewing movie during supposedly working hour). And it didn't take that long pon, about 20 minutes per view in a day. Ok la tu kan. This is why I opt for a simple light and funny movie that I could just stop and continue the next day.

(Missed the days in HP la sikit when we would watch ANTM and macam-macam movie secara online streaming. What I do not miss is having your off days interrupted by the boss calling, asking you to go to work).

I 'acquired' Outsourced because actually I was looking for another movie. Have you ever have a moment where you remember the trailer, but you don't know the actor or actress or the title of the movie pon and you want to watch it? Well... the story goes like, I was watching youtube videos of funny call center moments or conversation, which in turn make me remembers my second job, which then make me remembered a trailer I remembered seeing about a call center in India and a guy in US, which makes me to turn to google for any help of the supposed movie, but it seems with all my superior googling skills, I couldn't find it and found this instead.

Picture from Outsourced site

Panjang gile introduction. Now back to the movie. Outsourced. What's it about? Taken from IMDB.com
After his entire department is outsourced, an American novelty products salesman (Hamilton) heads to India to train his replacement.

And hijinks ensue, certainly. The movie is funny and it brings back memories when I was in the call center. It makes me remember on how call center is so impersonal and businesslike and how some of the Westerner hate it when they heard an accent on the line.

I also smiled when the film showed the workers gleefully 'hias' their workstation after their boss agreed to one of the suggestion to make the office more personalized and comfortable . One of the rule of call-center is that your desk need to be bare of any thing. Boleh tak beg pon suruh letak bawah. Nothing on the table but your computer and a piece of paper and occasionally your hand holding a pen.

It is basically a movie showing about self discovery, but it address many of the issues that grate on the call center workers or just me. The boss and company relentless pursuit of impossible KPI,MPI or service level. The management encouragement asking to take up a Western name, which I opposed of, or in this movie in encouraging callers to think they are talking to an Americans instead of Indians. The crazy working hours that the workers put up and the callers or management take for granted at. The evil corporation and unstableness of call center industry where you might have a job this month and the project can be suddenly outsourced the next.

What I wonder is their enthusiasm in their job, if its true they or the Indians really like working in call center. Or maybe I just hate talking on the phone to strangers.

This movie is nice enough for some light viewing. It doesn't try too hard to be funny nor too preachy. It is advertised as a romantic comedy, but it doesn't feel like a romantic comedy. I meant, it do have a love side story in it that can threaten the movie to Bollywood proportions, but they handled it nicely I guess. The Kama Sutra suite is a hoot, though I would have imagined something even more exotic to be sure. Hahaha. But I do like it especially when it gives us a view of the slums and the busy town and the various cliches in a movie of what a Westerner have to experience in India. And I do love a colorful movie.

So what's next eh... Work!

Comments

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.