Skip to main content

A Janeite?

Have to confess. My love of Jane Austen at first do not spring from books. Rather, my sister brought home (at that time Video Cassette )the incredibly addicting mini-series of Pride and Prejudice by BBC.

I remembered that everytime after I got back from my boarding school, I would plonked down my bags, get some foods and prepare myself for a 9 hour marathon of Pride and Prejudice (the whole miniseries for what I remembered lasted that long, or less or more.. I may had forgotten). I may had done this monthly. The video cassette suffered incredibly through my repeated viewing (and perhaps my laziness by leaving it lying around ).

My sister bought a DVD collection of it now. It is left untouched. Maybe I will see it again.

From there on, it piqued my interest to pick up her books. Her first book I read was Emma. I thought it was good, funny and loveable. Though I don't like Emma one bit. I read Sense and Sensibility and I don't understand much of it. I read Northanger Abbey and found it a tad bit depressing and more flighty compared to her other work. I read Pride and Prejudice and loved it and wish I could be like Elizabeth Bennet and always wondering if Charlotte Lucas ever finds love. Every year I would reacquaint myself with it (as with Bridget Jones and Anne series). Persuasion is intriguing and I love the story, the heroine is what I should be grown up, staid, sensible. Mansfield Park is a bit overbearing in its morality, but I haven't finished reading it yet. Its my least favorite book by Jane Austen and the heroine have no... gumption.

With all this, does it make me a Janeite? I only knew such a term exist after reading a review of Becoming Jane. I love the movie. I cried buckets. I know. I usually cry at the most average looking movie while moving Oscar-worthy movie usually left me dry.

The story focused on the flirtation Jane Austen and Tom Lefroy had when they were young. It played about that they are in love with each other and suggested that the arrogant Mr Darcy is fashioned after Lefroy. I love James McAvoy (Ewan McGregor move over. I have a new Scottish love), so I love him here. Anna Hathaway is one of my favorite actress too, so the movie is enjoyable by their performance alone. Though it would fare better if I could be saved by the idea of Jane Austen parents having oral sex in the morning.

I also love the character Mr Wisley. He looked like someone *I* would fall head over heels for. Don't worry McAvoy, I would still throw myself at you whenever you are around. I love that Mr Darcy seems to be like a combination of these 2 men (Lefroy and Wisley). However, Mr Wisley maybe fictional, so we can only guess that Lefroy is perhaps the hero Jane Austen molded Darcy over.

We all knew Jane Austen died a spinster. So it is with great interest for many of her fans to know if she could write of love stories that are celebrated till today, she must had been in love. Personally I think she must had. If its with either Lefroy or the mysterious man she met by the sea... who knows. The story of Becoming Jane maybe somewhat of a fictional biopic, but somewhere there's a shred of truth in there. I would love the thought that she did have a deep, passionate and abiding love for someone though.

In keeping with the Jane Austen theme like of this post, I had finished reading the Jane Austen Book Club, by Karen Joy Fowles. I would like to know which critics lauded it as funny. Not. Funny. Not that it isn't any good. I guess its ok. But its just ok. The characters varies, but the secondary characters stories are sometimes left hanging or unsatisfactorily finished.

I wouldn't categorize this story as a light story, nor is it an epic saga. The characters tell their stories of childhood dreams dashed, parents who failed, innocence taken, separation and divorce. It is hardly stuff fluffy chick lit are made of, in spite of what the misleading "critics" quote put prominently at the book. However the characters are as ordinary as everybody else which make it an enjoyable read. Not everyone can get into a wonderful adventure or met a dashing handsome rich young man who fell head over heels for you without no reason at all. And I am glad that the characters do not fall into the same plots as Austen in her novels. That would be a cheap ploy.

It would helped that you had read all of Jane Austen novels before reading this book. Or you would be confused or disinterested in their discussion of Austen's work. I find myself looking forward to this part of the book. Interesting to know others insight of the characters. I myself like to pick apart a book or movies by how the characters are portrayed.

I guess, I would be interested in how the movie played out I suppose, but not enough to pay for it *evil grins*. (Oh yes, there is a movie that had been made of the "Jane Austen Book Club") A more prettier and younger version I suppose.


p/s: I am not a Janeite I guess. Maybe a little bit. A definite fan of her work, but hard core fan? I am not too sure. Am I ?

Comments

Jannah said…
Ooh first commentar,

Girl you are a Janeite.

You become one the day you saw that BBC Pride and Prejudice flick.

I saw one version of BBC Pride and Prejudice but it has Colin Firth playing Mr Darcy in it. We substitute the movie for the book during our Introduction to Literature paper.

I watched both movies already. Love McAvoy too coz he's gorgeous, you should find The Sleeping Dictionary with Jessica Alba in it. He's a bit younger but you could already see the talent. But you should remember him as Mr Tumnus in the Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

In the Jane Austen book club be prepared for Hugh Dancy. I read bits from the book and yes they made the characters in the movie younger. But wait for this fella. Beautiful.

Okay enough already.

And yes I will eventually finish reading the 6 novels. In good time :)
Anonymous said…
james mcavoy was rad in The Last King of Scotland and Atonement. i watch those movies for Gillian Anderson and Kiera Knightley resepctively but was pleasently suprised at how good mr McAvoy was in both of the movies

in Last King o Scotland you can even see a James jr.. if you know what i mean. what is it with young Scottish star and full frontal nudity. Ewan McGreggor did the same in Trainspotting and perrty much any movies early in his film career. but i tell you what.. JM is a hundred time easier to understand than EW.. thats all i'm sayin'!
Dils said…
Jannah:
McAvoy is in Sleeping Dictionary or Hugh Dancy? McAvoy is lurking there somewhere too?

Hehe.. I did see it briefly (the sleeping dictionary) but I am too insulted at the idea of Iban people giving away their daughters as mistresses. Haha..


Mr Cleo Weiland:
I haven't watch The Last King of Scotland, probably will now. Atonement, waiting for the right time to pop in the cinema. Hehe.. There's nudity in there? I just have to see it now.

I like EM accent much better actually. It shivers me timbers. But McAvoy wins hands down with those eyes alone.


Conclusion: All women with sense in the world have to heart Hot McAvoy
Jannah said…
Woopsies, my bad. Hugh Dancy was in the sleeping dictionary. Two hot men. Confused kejap. They should be in a movie together. Brokeback Mountain 2. Huha.

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.