Skip to main content

IU - KDramas Best

One of the earlier Kdramas I watched was Scarlet Heart Ryeo and so IU is one of the actresses I am always excited to hear about if she is going to be involved in the projects. I found that also I watched a lot of her dramas. Not all, I think I didn't watch Bel Ami and don't intend to either and few of her minor roles, so I will list down starting from what I think her least best drama to the best.


DREAM HIGH



Plot:-
Anyone who haven't watched it well, I don't really want other people to watch this either but it got Kim Soo Hyun, Suzy and Taecyeon . And I really like Suzy here. What is it about? Its about a bunch of kids who went into this sort of music academy with the intention of becoming top/pop/kpop stars. The leading star of this was the above I mentioned earlier and IU was the supporting actress actually.

Review:-
It is kinda silly sometimes but it does have its moment. Its kinda fun to watch though and the songs are nice to listen to.  Basically I went into it expecting nothing but was entertained, so it was good. Definitely not gonna rewatch this.

How's IU here:-
I think it was her first drama. You can see the awkwardness a bit but she seems mostly natural enough. It doesn't really stretch a lot of her ability though, so she was just OK in this.

Chemistry with her partner:-
Well, she was not there to be against the female lead, but more of a supportive role. She also have her own romantic storyline that is kinda cute and both do well together in a cute a way.

Best work?:-
Considering this is her first acting gig, I say she did fine but I was not blown away.


THE PRODUCERS


Plot:-
Here also is where IU is not in the starring roles but it does highlight more on her acting ability. It again featured Kim Soo Hyun who works in an entertainment dept of a television network and how he navigate working as a newbie there under the supervision of the 2 'sunbaes' Joon Mo ( Cha Tae Hyun) and Ye Jin ( Kong Hyo Jin). And from working there he have to work with the popular singing talent Cindy (IU). 

Review:-
This was actually a pretty good kdrama. It featured 2 very well talented actors who played their characters brilliantly. So Kim Soo Hyun and IU fared well against the 2 stars. It does not featured romance heavily since it is more of a workplace kdrama type. 

How's IU here:-
This is one of the drama that makes me think IU can act pretty good. She was particularly good in all of her scenes that deals with emotions especially. The bitchy part she still have to get that right, as I feel there was not enough oomph going on. (which she did later in Hotel Del Luna). 

Chemistry with her partner:-
She have loads of chemistry with Kim Soo Hyun. They should totally be starring in kdrama together again one day. They don't have anything much together romantically but most of their scenes together are sweet. I stan this upcoming kdrama couple. Make it happened!

Best work?:-
A better work. 


MOON LOVERS : SCARLET HEART RYEO


Plot:-
The female lead (IU) was suddenly propel to Goryeo time in a body of a 16 year old girl. On her time there due to her peculiar ways, she caught the eyes of several princes . Of course there would be princes! 

Review:- 
Aside from the nonsensical plot, it is a really good kdrama where it have the usual palace politic drama and also heavy on the romance. Most of it was IU being the objects of affections. It starred all the hotties of kdrama world and introduced me to Kang Ha Neul and I think he is simply marvellous. Watch it if you like since it is quite fun and dramatic and melo. 

How's IU here:-
I have to say this is not one of her strongest drama. But I think this is the first time she was the lead? She was great in the first half of the drama where she have to be the sweet bubbly girl. But during the second half, where the emotional toll of all this palace drama now taking place I find her less satisfactory. She did not hit the right note of emotional despair and sadness and most of the time look kinda blank. But I can't really blame her since I think she didn't have yet the life and actor experience to carry that. I think she realized that too because she gets miles better afterwards in the later dramas. 

Chemistry with her partner:-
She have good chemistry with all of the cast. To me there's nothing like explosively good, but she manage to have pretty decent chemistry with all of her interests. That is no small feat. 

Best work?:-
No unfortunately. I even think when she was in the Producers, she was better. But this was such a nice kdrama for me to watch, I am fine with that. She was not terrible. 


HOTEL DEL LUNA


Plot:-
IU as Man-Wol is a caretaker of a hotel to the dead. She hired Chan Sung ( Yeo Jin Goo ) as the hotel manager. (malas nak elaborate. This series is hugely popular enough)

Review:-
It was a delightful dark and sometimes formulaic drama. I like the myth surrounding the hotel and the mystery of Man Wol past. All of the casts did splendidly well and it was quite an excellent drama except that it gets too melo sometimes and the ending is a bit meh to me . 

How's IU here:-
She was marvellous as the bitchy vengeful Man Wol. She really pulled of everything about the character quite well , especially the fashion she donned. The last episode leave me a little bit meh because they changed her to a sweeter nature unnaturally though I think it maybe more on the writing rather than the acting, but it feels a bit off to me. 

Chemistry with her partner:-
I know people love her chemistry with Yeo Jin Goo, but I feel it was great in a platonic way. She have pretty good chemistry with Lee Do Hyun though the man from her past. 

Best work?:- 
Not the best, but she is pretty darn good in here. She really is Man Wol and was entertaining to watch. 


MY MISTER


Plot:-
Ji-An is a struggling mid 20s years old working to support her ailing grandmother. Due to her past, she is a tough, morally flawed person who will do anything to survive. She worked as temp where (Lee Sun Kyun) Dong Hun worked as a thankless team lead engineer in a construction company. Dong Hun suddenly received a packet of money and Ji-An stole the money. In a set of circumstances, she ended up giving it back but found out through a series of events that Dong Hun wife is having an affair with Dong Hun boss. She takes advantage on that knowledge. 

Review:-
Writing that plot, makes it feel like I was writing of a JDrama plot. It makes me miss JDrama a bit. 
Anyway my review on this series, it is amazing! It is unlike most kdrama I had ever seen. It felt realistic in a slice of life way and harsh. My heart breaks for Ji An and Dong Hun. The music in this drama is outstanding, every cast is amazing and the life depicted feels achingly true. I feel like this is one of the best kdrama I watched if people can get past the heavy theme of the drama. It is serious, heartbreaking (but never veers to melodramatic), peppered with humours every now and then and feel so true to what you feel in life. 

How's IU here:-
This is after her role from Scarlet Heart, and I was blown away how good she was. She uses her eyes to show how tired, angry and frustrated she was with the world. Her body language is defeated yet defiant. She knows how to hold back and burst through a scene. After this drama, I am a staunch IU fan and will watch whatever she acted on. 

Chemistry with her partner:-
This is not the usual kdrama romance. It doesn't feel much of a romance either. It feels like a love story that you must start within yourself. But she had great interaction with Lee Sun Kyun and I wouldn't even mind if at the end it turned romantic. It seems almost natural. 

Best work:-
Most definitely is. Until I watched another drama/film, I say this is her strongest role and acting so far. Though I haven't watched Persona. That kinda film takes a mood and a determination I don't much have these days. 


Comments

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.