Skip to main content

Cloud Atlas


Saw it finally after I was excited seeing the trailer masa I pregnant dulu. Kenapa I excited... sebab ade Jim Sturgess laa. 

You should watch One Day, then read the book. The film is not all that, but the book... I don't know why, but there is something about British writers that I love. They don't pander. They get the story out, and still hit all the emotional notes. And One Day is a beautful story of friendship and love and life. It is predictable, but I love it nonetheless. Hoi baca je la One Day tu ok. 

And whyyyyy. Kenapa melalut cerita pasal One Day, tapi tajuk Cloud Atlas. Melalut kejab sebab Jim Sturgess is wonderful. He is my new James McAvoy. 

This film is around 3 hours. It took me 2 days as my free days is not as it is before. Heh. I heard that Cloud Atlas is a monster of a book. The story spans centuries, past , present and future. From 1849 to 2321. There are 6 stories in them. If not all, almost most of the actors have some roles in each stories, big or small. 

The one that is most memorable to me is the Sonmi story ( Jim Sturgess is an Asian! He kicks ass! He is romantic! Hellooooo ) and the Cambridge story. Sonmi story is wonderfully futuristic, lovely and sad. The action and set and effects is typical Wachowski. But the Cambridge story is about the life of a n impoverished musician, his love for a man is the one that moved me. I never care much about LGBT stories as I can't relate to it and I don't have any strong opinion on it ether. But this particular love story. Maybe it is the actors, but my heart breaks for them that it don't for others. If the other stories (some are yawn-ish, some are lovely and riveting), this one.. bring it home. 

I am itching to read the book because I don't get it. Tapi I don't think so I will read it. There are other books! Many others to be read! Anyway below are the observations and questions I had when I watch Cloud Atlas area. 

(Spoiler to those who cares)

Why Frobisher kill himself? I don't get it? 

Why is Sonmi is important? Exactly how did Gen Chang knows she is ? 

Why people choose to listen to  her? I don't get Sonmi. 

Why Cavendish brother locked him in nursing home? I don't get it. 

Isaac Sachs storyline into Luisa Rey is completely pointless. 

When Cavendish yells out "Soylent Green is people" in his storyline, I am not at all surprised on how the Sonmi story pan out. 

Sonmi and Gen Chang love story is cute and lovely and tragic, but Bae Doona made it so. Jim Sturgess I am sorry to say, can be turn into a mannequin for all I care and I hardly notice. He is heroic and regal and handsome... but why does he loves Sonmi so?? I don't get it. 

I love everything about the Frobisher story. The affair with Ayrs (or who the heck it is) is also kinda pointless, but aside from that, everything melodramatic about this story works.





I want to watch it again, but I don't think so I can larat go through 3 hours of it. Tapi nak tengok Jim Sturgess. Maybe I'll search for Upside Down next then for my Sturgess fix. 


Comments

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.