Skip to main content

Sookie Stackhouse Series

I first watched True Blood but then it becomes a tad unwatchable after Season 3 I think. Sookies just seems a lot whiny to me. Someone tells me to try to read the books because Sookie Stackhouse is a much more acceptable heroine in the books. That is usually the case pon kan. 
Kurang 3 books, this is a 13 series books. Took me a year to finish all. 


So the novels series by Charlaine Harris ; The Southern Vampire Mysteries basically chronicled Sookie's life. I would say the timeline from she first meet Bill to the last book event is maybe give or take 5 years? Around book 6 or 7, I was thinking, damn Sookie have a lot of near death events. I think towards the end, even Charlaine Harris thinks it had become a tad bit ludicrous. 

I don't feel like posting a synopsis, because almost everybody knows of True Blood. I only watched the last episode of True Blood just to see how it ends, and I like how the series end. For the book, I am quite satisfied with it too. I can see also that is the only logical way to go.  

Anyway in the book I think 

- Sookie is less whinier. She don't like to talk much, if she feels fed up with it, she will just do it herself. I like it. In the series, she seems almost whiny. 

- I get her relationship with memory loss Eric in the book. In the series, it feels icky, kinda like Big icky. ( You know the movie Big, where a kid grows up overnight to be Tom Hanks, then there is one scene where he had sex. BIG ICK. )

- The earlier books were smuttier, towards the end, it becomes less smutty. I think because she had also experienced a lot, so towards the end it is all been there done that. 

- I wish we had given a look into Faerieland. 

- Love how she wrote the vampires have a cool monarchy system going on for hundred of years, which the humans are oblivious. 

- Love also that most of the relationship Sookie have with her friends and the town and in the end, they all got her back. 


I love the books, though it does gets a bit redundant at the end. Sookie is in some sort of danger, manage to be saved by someone's help. Though it is unfair to say she always relied on someone help. Sometimes she managed to save herself. Sometime she saved others. But you can get a Sookie fatigue towards the end. Which is why, I always read some other books in between reading the book series. I may end up hating Sookie if I don't do that. 

But I enjoyed the book, it is well written. While it may not be complex or insightful but you do have a lot of fun reading it. Way better than some chick lits. Got a healthy dose of girl power, romance and relationship ongoing. The mythology of all the creatures had been setup nicely and not too boneheaded or out of this world. The faery is the most mysterious of them all, but I like it. 

And to close of the series, she also wrote After Dead. In After Dead, it listed if not all, but most of the beloved characters that we come to know and love in Sookie Stackhouse series, on their updates in life many years afterwards. I love that she decided to write this. Feels like a tribute to the fans that continue to read on. She knows the fans love it and this book is specially for the fans and it also brought a firm close lid on who Sookie ends up with. It is kinda bittersweet, but it does feel right. 

I am looking forward to read her other books. I had started already buying the other series. Usually I will kumpul it at the Big Bad Wolf Sale, because they always have Charlaine Harris series there. 

Hmmm.. I haven't finish a book for the longest time. Been busy. I was trying to finish the House of the Seven Gables, but it is so not a page turner. Been trying to take up some other books in between, but not able to finish all. 

Comments

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.