Skip to main content

All about zombies

Most people know I love zombies genre. I gobbled the series, movies, comics about zombies without get bored of them . Though yes, it is becoming too mainstream.

This is why when there is a book about zombies I would always want to read about it.

Some of these books I had read a while back, more than 2 years for like the compilation of short stories in the Living Dead. I think it would be easier if I just grouped my zombies book review in one place.

I am not gonna place the synopsis, because most of these stories are just about zombies and zombies apocalypse survivors. 

The Living Dead (The Living Dead, #1)

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am putting it to 3 stars because there are some I likes and some I don't like. I had read this book on and off for years and I had now just manage to finish it ( by skipping the last story because .. honestly I can't just be bothered anymore) .

There were wonderful stories, bad stories and disturbing stories. I like the writers tried to twist the zombie tales to something quite different . Like in Followed where the dead do not eat your brains. They just follow you... like a pet dog. There are another story in ala Shaun of the Dead "Meathouse Zombies" written by George R. R. Martin is kinda bittersweet, where zombies are put to work... Some are a bit too sickening for me. So I won't mentioned those.

The best zombie short story for me in this book is This Year's Class Picture by Dan Simmons. To me it is the most beautiful zombie story I had ever read. I love it. Endurance, madness, hopelessness and love. I felt the love the teacher had for her students, undead or not.

It is a good compilation except for the last zombie story, I just can't read those... but I am not going to read the The Living Dead #2.


World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I watched the movie first, and know there is a book somewhere. Since I like the movie, I felt like I have to read the book too. I also know the book is wayyy different than the movie.

And yes, the book is great. It is a compilation of eyewitness account of World War Z (war of the zombies so to speak). It is written in a chronological sorta way. Where it first started supposedly in China in some old cities , then the crop of unexplained dead rising here and there globally.

Then it continues on the people survival in fleeing or surviving, and the world apocalypse and eventually how the people fight back.

It was an enjoyable read. We are not chained to just one perspective. We got the 360 degrees of the stories and even then it feels like it is not enough. Like the east coast college who manage to fortify their campus and defend themselves. I would like a movie out of that please!

Highly recommended.


Zombie Apocalypse! (Zombie Apocalypse, #1)Zombie Apocalypse! by Stephen Jones
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

At first I thought I am gonna get the civilian outtake of the zombie outbreak in the UK, but it worked a little bit like the excellent World War Z, where there are different people narrating their experience.

I had read this a while back, and can't really remember how the story goes but it is a bit unremarkable. I think I remember the schoolkids who survived with another family. It was kinda tragic and sweet story. The other story is just a blur in my mind.

There is a lot of how they are going to outrun and survive the zombies outbreak which is the part I always enjoyed so I remember enjoying this book and felt like I will not be opposed to read the sequel.


Zombie Apocalypse! Fightback (Zombie Apocalypse, #2)

My rating: 1 of 5 stars

The sequel was a mistake. Where the previous book mostly concentrated on the accounts of the survivor, this book focus is on how the zombies created and one mastermind thinking zombie which just exasperated me,

This book tried to explain the origins of zombies it in a supernatural way, which is kinda lame and make me lose interest in the plot.. very fast. It got very boring.

And when it was shown this way, I really hated it. Maybe it is unfair to expect every zombie story , the reason of the infection should be vague but this .. it kinda dont make sense and irritating. That then also affected the characters where it made everyone looks weak. We don't stand a chance. What is a zombie story when all hope is lost. Boring I tell you.

I am not faulting the writing but I can't just get behind this telling of the origins of the zombies and the supposedly world domination of the zombies. A zombie who can think, is just lame. He is just like any other monster then.

Hate this book.

View all my reviews

Comments

Nuffnang

Popular posts from this blog

Aini and Zaki's Wedding

Promised the girls that we will attend Aini's wedding at Melaka on last Saturday, but at the last minute I changed the plan to go to Zaki's side of the wedding instead at Air Molek yesterday since on the same day there was also another kenduri potong jambul at my brother in law's kampung at Rembau. We manage to reach there around 15 mins after 1pm just before the pengantin berarak. Nice timing indeed. So alang-alang2 tu aku join je belakang rombongan pengantin masuk while my husband duk ambik-ambik gamba. Anyway the food was yummeh (sambal sotong!!! My Fav!) and the wedding is really traditional-like with gamelan music and silat. Aini looks really prettyyy and Zaki's sooo happy and jovial-like. Selamat Pengantin Baru to Aini and Zaki. The pic above is from my husband camera taken by tah sape and I will upload most of the remaining gambar kenduri in Facebook, sooner or later. Gamba kat Rembau tu, tanya Shamani die nak upload kat mana as the pics are at his camera too

Raw

Why does my heart cried Feelings I can't fight You betrayed me But just don't deceived me And please believe me when I say I love you [From the movie Moulin Rouge] And why didnt he? He's playing hot and cold.. hot and cold with me. I can't stand it. Yet I always come back for more. I am a true blue masochist. I don't even ask him to love me. I just ask him to miss me. And he couldnt even do that.. or say it. I just want to see his face once more. To see his lovely smiles, his small laugh. Why couldn't I forget him. When he could so easily dismissed me.. he could just easily come back and messed my sense and sensibility. While my tears fall down to my keyboard, yet at the same time I was making jokes and soothing him telling him "no worries". I don't ask for much... a smile, a pat on the hand. I miss him so much. Yet I am so afraid to let it shows. Becoz then if I show it... it will hurt 10 times more.